Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Jacob-und-Wilhelm-Grimm-Zentrum

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin | | Jacob-und-Wilhelm-Grimm-Zentrum | Architectural history of the University Library

Architectural history of the University Library

1831
By royal cabinet order was authorized to has an "establishment" of a university library.

 

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Kommode 1832

Exterior view of Royal Library - Chest in 1832

1832
In the "Dublettenzimmer" of the Royal Library ("Kommode"), the library takes an inventory of almost 1,700 volumes - created as a reference library - in their work.

 

 

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Adlerscher Saal 1839

Exterior view "Adlerscher Saal" Unter den Linden 76 in 1839

1839 - 1854  
Move to the "Adlerschen Saal" into the building "Unter den Linden 76" on the passage to the Neue Wilhelmstraße (now the intersection of Wilhelmstraße / Unter den Linden). Comprehensive inventory of 10,000 volumes could be accommodated properly in the beginning. The relatively rapid growth of population and the rapidly deteriorating buildings made a statement urgently needed.

 

 

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Taubenstrasse 29 außen 1854

Exterior view Taubenstr. 29 in 1854

1854 - 1874
With approximately 40,000 volumes, the library moved into the "Taubenstraße 29", one near the Gendarmenmarkt. Because the library was divided into two levels, between which was still a stranger occupied floor, the library work designed very difficult and could only be a temporary measure. 1855 has been calculated that, assuming a portfolio growth of approximately 2,000 volumes annually, the existing footprint would be delivered in just three years. 1863 was the presence of spaces in the "Taubenstraße 29" is already overcrowded.

 

 

1869 - 1873
The Minister of Mühler set up a commission to provide advice on a new library building. In spring 1871, with the demolition work on the property "Dorotheenstraße 9": start (today: number 28). With the work on the foundation, which began in August, was the first city-owned building for the university library. The planned construction of a building inspector Spieker was made ready in 1873.

 

 

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Dorotheenstrasse 9 außen 1874

Außenansicht Dorotheenstr. 9 im Jahr 1874

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Dorotheenstrasse 9 Lesesaal 1874

Reading Room Dorotheenstr. 9 in 1874

1874 - 1910In May 1874 the library moved to the new building with approximately 100,000 volumes. The books are scheduled for the square was calculated to be scarce, forcing the books are made partly already in the river in two rows on one shelf of books in the magazine. The capacity issue was therefore not further solved. Had improved considerably, however, the reading room situation, the first 72 places could be provided. The library is richly furnished with artwork by Knille and burgers.

Had to be used in subsequent years in the neighborhood facilities for the preparation of the books.

 

 

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Universitätsstrasse 7 Lesesaal 1910

Reading Room Universitätsstraße 7 in 1910

1910 - 1922
From April 1910 to 1922 the university library was housed temporarily in the east wing (Universitätsstraße 7) of the Royal Library. During this time, multiplied their numbers to about 330,000 volumes.

 

 

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Dorotheenstrasse 81 außen 1929

Exterior views Dorotheenstraße 81 in 1929

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Dorotheenstrasse 81 Lesesaal und Magazin 1929

Reading Room and Magazine Dorotheenstraße 81 in 1929

1922 - 2005
From March to April 1922, the University Library moved into the rooms actually first thought in Dorotheenstraße 81 (today: number 27). The premises were used mainly in the ground floor with the straight through the vestibule to erreicheichende large reading room. He offered a job and 300 readers about 40,000 books were available to readers free access. The remaining books were initially a lot of space in the overlying magazine stories. On the first floor were the administrative, labor and catalog space.

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Dorotheenstrasse 81 Lesesaal und Arbeitsplatz 1950

Reading Room and Workspace Dorotheenstraße 81 in 1950

Gebäude der Universitätsbibliothek der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin: Dorotheenstrasse 81 Lesesaal 1999

Reading Room Dorotheenstraße 81 in 1999

By the bomb damage in the Royal Library and the reading room of the university library was damaged. Could no longer perform its function it. After the war, a temporary reading room was established on the ground floor. The absence of the old reading room and also the space for 40,000 books, the entire internal structure of the library ran into difficulties. It started again a time of temporaries. Again there was a lack of space for new books. Dodge magazines in different places had to be hired at the beginning of the sixties.

 

 

2005
From June 2005 the former building of the first Chemical Institute in Hessische Straße 1-2, which was adapted for library purposes, was opened.

 

 

2009
Only with the arrival in the Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm Center, the Central University Library is again able to offer a genuine library building, with a new structure for an extended period of good readers and the inventory focused on working conditions.